Pages

Search This Blog

free range rooster ranch

February 3, 2009- Pecos is in the rooster business. Our two roosters are from a neighbor who was culling out the less than desirable roosters from his flock. Pecos adopted them and now they make their home here with us. And so far they have provided much entertainment in addition to being a reliable alarm clock. After surviving their first night here the roosters were greeted by our Remuda of horses who were eager to investigate…the roosters took off running like they were being chased for the stew pot. I didn't know if they were coming back. After the horse episode I had to run to town so we went out to the car and I told Pecos we had to look for the roosters before we left. He told me the rooster was in the car. I thought "yeah, right" but just to be on the safe side I looked under the car- no rooster. Then to be extra cautious and avoid killing a rooster by turning the car on, I popped the hood to take a look- no rooster up in the engine area. So down the hill to feed the horses but the horses wouldn't come. We honked the horn for about 10 minutes, then drove back up the hill to get the horses and back down again, fed them then took off for town. By now Pecos is telling me the roosters are out in the pasture and I'm beginning to wonder if he has some sort of secret insight to rooster behavior. We went to the bank- inside, not the drive through. Then on to the feed store to get chicken feed even though I wasn't sure if I would even have roosters to feed when I got back. Next stop- the post office. We came back home and the red rooster was in the pen but no black rooster so I figured he was maybe behind the shop. Got out of my car, heard a flapping sound and something hitting the underside of the car. Out saunters the black rooster, steps about 5 feet from the car, takes a good shake, flaps his wings a few times and struts over to join the red one in the pen. Yep, the rooster went to town and back. True story- I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes!!! So that is our first venture into the free range chicken business- we'll let you know when we get some hens and have eggs available.




3 comments:

JoJo said...

LOL Erin, too funny!

Diane J... said...

Hilarious!!!!

Jim & Rosemary said...

Hitchhiking roosters, catfish, horses, cats, dogs, this lil' cowboy has it made in the shade! He has an interesting life!