Pages

Search This Blog

fair-ly well

August 27, 2010- It's Gillespie County Fair time!  One of my favorite times of year...such nostalgia and memories of the Jeff Davis Parish Fair back at home.  The fair is a BIG deal here in Gillespie County.  This year the parade was on my birthday!  Who gets a parade on their birthday? Me, that's who!  Main Street in Fredericksburg begins to fill up the night before with pick-up trucks parked overnight so everyone can get a great view of the parade.  I have become overly obsessed and possibly neurotic when it comes to getting a good spot to view the parade.  This year I parked the truck on Wednesday afternoon.  Yes, I know it is obsessive but I can't help it.  So if you ever want to view a parade in Fredericksburg you can save yourself the hassle of finding a parking spot and come view the parade with us!

Pecos kept the parade moving right along and instructed the entrants to keep moving down the parade route.
This clown thought Pecos was flagging him down for a photo so we indulged him.

It was Brazos' first fair parade and he enjoyed it for the first 15 minutes or so before snoozing for the remainder and it was time to eat again.

As for entries in the fair this year, let's just say they were slightly less abundant than last year.  But with both boys keeping me busy it is a wonder I had time to bake anything at all.  And we didn't have a garden this year- that is a whole other story in itself.  And my chickens have had to vacate the property because of the conflict they were causing with all their hanging out on the porch and creating unsanitary conditions; so no eggs to enter either.

I have never in my life made cinnamon rolls from scratch.  So why in the world would I attempt them for the fair?  Slight lapse of judgement I suppose.  Or just the thrill of doing something different to try and win a trophy since the last few years of cookies and cakes weren't producing one.

Pecos helped in the endeavor that created such chaos in my kitchen.

He was so helpful to point out what part of the recipe I needed to do next.

Here's the result; not too bad for a first attempt.  We both entered them; mine got first place- big surprise because I thought they tasted good but were a bit on the doughy side.

Pecos got third with his, but I let him have my ribbon.

And since I was on a roll (no pun intended), I thought I'd make a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread.  It was a huge flop.  Done on the outside but not cooked on the inside.  Here is the proof just in case you don't believe me.  This loaf went straight in the trash so as not to embarrass the Worrell family name.  

Over the summer (with help from my mom) I managed to do some canning.  And although I don't like jam, jelly or preserves, I do love to make them.  And I love entering them in the fair even more!  But I don't like it when they don't win a trophy.  Here's the deal: I know my food is good.  And even though I don't need a trophy to prove it I still want one.  So I am on a quest to get these taste-bud challenged judges that control the fair into awarding one to me.  I am also on a quest to get them to accept half-pint jars but don't get me started on that rant.
So no trophy this year.  Just first with my pepper jelly and second with blackberry jam.  Pecos got second place with his pickled okra while mine was once again mis-understood.

This was the first year Pecos discovered the carnival rides.  During the fair I made a rapid trip to Louisiana to attend my brother, Eric, and his fiancée, Shellie's, engagement party.  While I was away for less than 36 hours Casey and Pecos hit up the horse races.  Pecos got bored waiting in between the races and told Casey "let's go check out that carnival thing."  Needless to say they didn't make it back to the races.

The motorcycles were a favorite.  Another reason to love the fair: no matter where you go for a county fair the carnival rides remain the same.  It is quite possible I rode this exact same ride 25 years ago.

But this is a new one.  Future big rig driver:

So while the trophy for baked and canned goods eluded me again this year, Pecos had fun and Brazos saw his first fair parade.  Fairly well, indeed.

No comments: