Pages

Search This Blog

lobsterfest 2010

August 12, 2010- Although it has been two years since our last visit to Maine we are always glad to re-live the memories.  Thanks to Casey's parents who sent us lobsters on their recent visit we were able to have our own lobster dinner here in Harper. 

The special delivery contained these lobsters- or as it is pronounced in Maine- lobstahs:
 





I promptly put them in the fridge to rest and await their fate into my boiling pot of water.  Sad, I know, and I felt slightly bad about it. 

This was also in the box:  instructions- are you kidding me?  I don't need instructions, I have Louisiana roots and this is just an oversized crawfish!


Here are the first 2 victims after a dip in the stove top sauna.

Oh, the carnage that was left.  You see shells, this Lousisiana gal sees the makings of lobster stock.  Back into the pot they went to create stock which will be part of my next seafood gumbo.  The entire endeavor of preparing the feast and making stock took no less than a dozen pots, pans, bowls and various other kitchen vessels.  But it was sooooooooooo worth it!

Brazos was a non-participant in this year's lobsterfest other than to wear this bib and just look cute.

And no Maine feast would be complete without a whoopie pie for dessert.  Well perhaps blueberries would be appropriate but the whoopie pies are a regional delicacy.  Pecos took the first bite and said "I think I love these whoopie pies." 

This delectable dessert is the traditional whoopie pie- chocolate on top and bottom with white icing in the center.  It may look like a mouse worked on this one but it was Pecos.

And this here may look like mush (Casey says it looks like a pile of cow poop), but to me it is the only way to make a whoopie pie even better- put chocolate in the center.  And yes, it was delicious.  I devoured it as if calories were a non-issue!

No comments: