Pages

Search This Blog

little leprechauns & an irish mystery

March 17, 2011- My little leprechauns had a not-so-festive disposition at picture time on St. Patrick's Day. I insisted we take the photo before leaving the house in the morning before one of them had a chance to get dirty. As you can see by this photo neither of them were very happy about it.
Other than that we didn't celebrate too much. St. Patrick's Day was during Spring Break so we had other things on our mind. We didn't even get the chance for green pancakes. And we had planned to make cookies but just didn't get around to it.

Later in the day after a very good nap I managed to get one of Brazos in a much better mood.

Now for the mystery.  For some reason everyone seems to think I'm Irish and should therefore celebrate St. Patrick's Day like a national holiday.  Maybe it is the fair complexion, freckles, slightly orange tint to my hair and greenish colored eyes.  Or perhaps that my name is Erin. The reality is I just don't know.  My dad's father's side of the family is unknown to me.  He died when my father and his siblings were children and after that I guess they didn't do too much with that side of the family.  Or at least they don't talk about it with my generation.  Perhaps there are skeletons yet to come out of that closet.  And my dad's mother's family were Gremillion's from Avoylles parish in Louisiana.  Cajun- yes; Irish- I doubt it.  As for my mom's side of the family, German descent is the best I can come up with.  So I can't pinpoint where the Irish-ness comes from but I play the part on March 17th and other times when it seems appropriate. 
Hope you enjoyed the day of green!

No comments: